Monday, September 17, 2012

Musing Mondays

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to write a blog post ever since the last Top Ten Tuesday. I don't like not having posts in between the two memes that I write, so I din't plan on doing this week's Musing Monday. But... The question is so good that I decided to answer anyway. 

The question is: What is your least favorite book? Why?

I usually choose my books rather well, so I don't come across bad books that I don't like that often. I do read a stinker once in a while. One of them was P. S. I Love You.

Seriously, this is one of my least favorite books and I immediately start raging when I hear or think about it. What I dislike the most is that tons of readers continue raving on how awesome and great the book is. Well, guess what. It's not. It's poorly written, the main character (I think her name was Holly, but I'm not sure on this one and am too lazy to google anything regarding P. S. I Love You) is annoying. She's not annoying in the "the author is so good that she writes amazingly convinceable characters", she's annoying in the "this writing is so bad that I want to smack her in the face" way. 

This woman is in her thirties and loses her husband. Very bad, I'm sorry and I do sympathize. But why does she keep on acting as if she were four years old? She has no job, she has never had a job, has no school and yet, she declines jobs because she thinks she's too good for them. What the actual fuck? And I'm supposed to feel bad for her? Hell no. I'm a good student and  when I graduate university I hope to get any job, I wouldn't dream of declining anything that would keep me above poverty level and this woman that has no skills (life skills or skills gained through education) and she's declining jobs. And she needs to pay bills.  

The writing is so bad that I actually started counting how many times the author used the phrase (more or less, I'm paraphrasing here): He/She opened his/hers mouth like a goldfish. It was four in the last third. I shit you not. i never got to the romantic part. Holly is a grown up who is treated as a child by her husband. He did this when he was alive and he continued doing so in his death. 

Okay, I could go on writing, but enough for this rant. I'm gonna go calm myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment